More and more artists are working with digital technology throughout the world. Caricatures and cartoons are also drawn, digitally coloured and published by means of computers, in addition to traditional techniques using pencil, ink or acrylic. SOKOL supports this artistic development with an innovative and future-oriented prize.
The SOKOL prize is awarded in the following year. The work of qualified artists is evaluated and discussed according to their quality, political and innovative spirit as well as their medial realisation.
Under the patronage of Annemarie Sokol, an international jury nominates the nominees and appoints a winner.
Prize: Prizes worth more than 30,000 are awarded to national and international winners. They are divided as follows:
EUR 11.000,- Sokol Prize for Digital Caricature (main prize) for digital submissions
EUR 4.000,- Sokol Advancement Prize for digital submissions
EUR 1.300,- 2 x AIR-ARTIST IN RESIDENCE Scholarships* for digital submissions
EUR 11.000,- Sokol Honour Award for special achievements or lifetime achievements – digital and traditionally crafted submissions
- International students will also receive two scholarships from
AIR-ARTIST IN RESIDENCE. These include free accommodation in a studio apartment in Krems for two months each (value of the apartment/studio rent is over EUR 2,000,-), a monthly subsidy of EUR 1,300 each and personal on-site support. Austrian artists are excluded from being granted scholarships.
Under the patronage of Annemarie Sokol, an international jury decides whom to award the prizes to. The jury is made up of 15 experts, from the fields of caricature, media, online publishing, and of representatives of Mödling’s Erich Sokol Private Foundation, as well as Lower Austria’s art and culture department and the Caricature Museum Krems. The Caricature Museum Krems reserves the right to change the number of jury members and its composition.
- Jean Mulatier, caricaturist and photographer (France)
- Sebastian Krüger, caricaturist and painter (Germany)
- Dr. Gisela Vetter Liebenow, Wilhelm Busch Museum Hannover (Germany)
- Thomas Wizany, caricaturist (Austria)
- Michael Pammesberger, caricaturist (Austria)
- Gerhard Haderer, caricaturist (Austria)
- Maria Picasso, illustrator (Spain)
- Achdé, comic artist and caricaturist (France)
- Rosa von Suess, media technology / FH St. Pölten (Austria)
- Kianoush, caricaturist (France, Iran)
- Markus Wintersperger, digital media / FH ST Pölten (Austria)
- Katharina Greve, architect and caricaturist (Germany)
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. habil. Anja Grebe, Danube University Krems (A)
- Representatives of the Department of Art and Culture of Lower Austria (Austria)
- Representatives of the Lower Austrian State Collection (Austria)
- Gottfried Gusenbauer, artistic director Cartoon Museum Krems (Austria)